The Sixth Form College, Colchester, Job Vacancies
Car Park Attendant/Gate Keeper
22.5 hours per week 39 weeks per year (term time only)
Actual salary £8,683.58 per annum (pro rata of £16,000)
You will be responsible for the management and control of vehicular and pedestrian/student access and also monitor and patrol the car parking on this busy College site. Ensuring the safe arrival of staff, students and visitors to the College
The successful candidate will be required to work a two week shift pattern Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday as part of a job share with the existing gatekeeper during term time (39 weeks per academic year). You will be in attendance from 8.00 to 4.30 each day and there is an expectation that you will assist during the College Parent, Interview and Open Evenings approximately 15 evenings spread throughout the academic year. These additional hours (approx. 20) are included in the salary calculation shown above.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist duty staff in ensuring the safe arrival of staff and students, specifically gate keeping during the busy periods - morning, afternoon and lunchtime.
- Provide a visible presence on the College campus by patrolling the external space, to challenge suspected unauthorised visitors and to report any security or other issues as appropriate to senior staff.
- Check that cars arriving on both South and North Site have valid passes. Direct those without valid passes to appropriate car parks Close the gate to the main College drive to dissuade vehicular traffic from using it during the busy periods.
- Control access to the site of delivery/food lorries, post and courier vans and other trade vehicles ensuring the safety of pedestrian users at all times, escorting them as required
- Check that cars are parked correctly and in the spaces provided in accordance with the College’s car parking policy. Note registrations of vehicles incorrectly parked or those without valid permits and pass information to Premises Department.
- Provide assistance to those trying to park if necessary by indicating available spaces or directing them to external town car parks.
- Direct visitors to external town car parks unless they have a pre-arranged parking space.
- Provide information on the number of car parking spaces available as and when required.
- To report any Health and Safety or maintenance issues to the Premises Department to help ensure the drive and parking area are free from hazard and to be responsible for ensuring safe working practices are adhered to at all time.
- To assist on Open Evenings, Parent Evening and Interview Evenings with the safe car parking and flow of traffic both in and out of College for parents and staff.
- To undertake other such other duties as may be reasonably requested by relevant managers.
Responsible to: Assistant Principal responsible for Car Parking
- The above are the main areas of responsibility and are not intended to be a comprehensive list of all administrative duties which are seen as part of the post
- The purpose of the job description is to indicate the general level of duties and responsibility of the post. The detailed duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character or level of responsibility entailed
- All duties must be carried out in accordance with relevant Health and Safety legislation and good practice.
- The college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
- The post holder is required to work in accordance with both organisational and personal responsibilities for data protection as outlined in College policy documents.
- Previous gatekeeping/ security experience
- A willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Basic groundworks and maintenance skills
- H&SAW awareness/ training
- A confident and calm manner.
To apply a College application form (please see link at top left of this page) must be completed and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to the address below (unaccompanied CV’s or third party application forms will not be accepted). Please note that our interview process will require that you attend the College in person as we do not offer a remote interview process.
Human Resources Department
The Sixth Form College, Colchester
Essex CO1 1SN
Closing Date: 12.00 noon Monday 24th February 2020