The Sixth Form College, Colchester, Job Vacancies
Health & Safety Officer
20 hours per week, full year (not term time only)
Actual salary: £15,762.16 per annum (pro rata of £29,160pa)
We are seeking an experienced Health and Safety professional to join the College Premises & Facilities Team. You should be familiar with current legislative framework, ideally have Health & Safety experience within an educational environment; please note that the role will include curriculum assessments e.g. in sport, laboratory and performing arts activities and residential trips and visits. You should have excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing, be able to influence and implement required H&S actions and able to work with staff and others at all levels across college and externally to initiate, develop and maintain relationships.
The successful candidate should ideally be qualified to a minimum of NVQ Level 3 Occupational Health and Safety and/or NEBOSH general Certificate standard.
The post is available immediately but a September start would be considered for the right applicant.
Purpose of the Post:
Working closely with the Assistant Principal (Curriculum and Health & Safety) and, for some aspects of the role, with the Director of Premises and Information Systems the post holder will:
- Give advice support and guidance on all aspects of Health and Safety in the College.
- Initiate and be pro-active in Health and Safety assessments to ensure that risk assessment across the college is satisfactory and minimises risk to all site users.
- Undertake operational Health and Safety tasks to ensure the College is compliant with legislation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Identify risk, assess implications, recommend, instigate and enforce remedial action and alert the AP responsible for Health & Safety where there are concerns.
Undertake Health and Safety assessments across the College, including specific regular assessments for curriculum areas and areas of specialist concern.
Act as a standing representative on the College Health and Safety Committee and attend CMG meetings & weekly bookings meetings.
Be appropriately qualified and keep up to date with legislative framework and relevant case law, e.g. COSHH and electricity at work and advise the College accordingly.
Undertake personal risk assessments for staff where necessary/ requested i.e. pregnancy, disability etc.
Liaise with Learning Support department regarding Care plans for medically vulnerable students.
Manage and ensure annual departmental risk assessments (both academic and support) are undertaken and properly recorded and discuss these with relevant HOD’s.
Undertake or facilitate relevant safety surveys conducted by Trade Union representatives and others.
Recommend and implement appropriate mechanisms for communicating with staff on Health and Safety matters.
Advise and support the AP- Health and Safety in Emergency Evacuation matters by:
- Organising sweepers
- Liaising with the Fire Brigade
- Recording evacuations
- Updating and replacing evacuation posters
- Implementing personal evacuation plans for disabled students in conjunction with Head of Learning Support
- Undertake or ensure personal evacuation plans are in place for students and communicate this to relevant staff
Be responsible for a staff and student H&S training and development programme by:
- Contributing to preparation and distribution of information, and briefing to staff and students relating to Health and Safety - - procedures.
- Contributing to planning
- Recommend and implement ways of meeting needs
- Providing relevant information
- Undertaking training of staff and students on health and safety issues, together with induction training for new staff on
Health & Safety
- Manage and review the use of Smartlog or other online training programmes.
- Organising specialist training such as manual handling, scaffold and ladder training
- Supporting the development of systems and procedures for training
Be responsible for:
- Accident reporting procedures (including RIDDOR) and maintenance of register (accident form log)
- Internal reporting mechanisms
- Reports to Governing Body
- Statutory reports in conjunction with AP - Health & Safety
- College inspection in conjunction with AP- Health & Safety
- VDU training, advise and assessments
Process and review risk assessments for trips and visits and ensure they are satisfactory and fit for purpose, maintain a register of transport providers used on trips and liaise with outside agencies when required
Maintain an updated library of Health and Safety information.
Be responsible for Health & Safety budget.
Record and arrange annual testing of all electrical appliances (PAT testing) within the College in accordance with the Electrical Regulations at Work Act and maintain a register of departments who do in-house testing and any other administrative functions connected with this task.
Liaise with external advisory and support units and liaise with HODs/ section heads and colleagues in the premises department on H & S issues.
Quality assure Risk Assessments for lettings and for contractors working on site.
Provide general advice to college staff and students (e.g. PPE, protective clothing, goggles for science laboratories etc.) and ensure that this advice is followed where necessary.
Such other duties as may reasonably be requested by the Principal or delegated alternative.
- The above are the main areas of responsibility and are not intended to be a comprehensive list of all administrative duties that are seen as part of the post
- The purpose of the job description is to indicate the general level of duties and responsibility of the post. The detailed duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character or level of responsibility entailed
- All duties must be carried out in accordance with relevant Health and Safety legislation and good practice.
- The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
- The post holder is required to work in accordance with both organisational and personal responsibilities for data protection as outlined in College policy documents.
Responsible to: Assistant Principal (Curriculum and Health & Safety)
Annual salary will be in accordance with Sixth Form Colleges’ Support Staff Pay Scale. Sixth Form College sector conditions of service apply, which are very similar to schools’ sector arrangements and support staff are eligible to join the national Local Government Pension Scheme. Salaries are reviewed by national negotiation with effect from 1st September each year.
Salary sacrifice schemes for childcare and cycle to work are also available to all College staff.
In order to apply for this post you must have the right to reside and work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor overseas applicants.
A College application form (please see link at top left of this page) must be completed in all cases and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org (unaccompanied CV’s or third-party application forms will not be accepted). Please note that our interview process will require that you attend the College in person as we do not offer a remote interview process.
If sent by post, please address applications to:
Human Resources Department
The Sixth Form College, Colchester
Essex CO1 1SN
Closing Date: 12 noon Friday 21st May 2021
Interviews are likely to take place early June 2021
Have obtained or be prepared to train for
Recognised first aid qualification or
Be familiar with current legislative framework
Ability to deliver health and safety training to
Understanding of H&S in a
Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing.
Be able to influence and implement required H&S actions.
Ability to work with staff at all levels across
Strong planning and organisational skills
Ability to identify appropriate training and to
Good report writing and presentation skills
Ability to relate effectively to young people in
Attitude & Disposition
A team player with a flexible “can do”
A view that good health and safety practice
Have an interest in sixth form education, the
Attention to detail
Confident and professional