Why study Drama and Theatre Studies?

Drama and Theatre Studies is an exciting and dynamic subject where you combine academic work with a practical element. If you are considering this subject as an AS or A level you will probably already enjoy the experience of live theatre and also possibly have been involved in productions. As part of the course you will have lots of opportunities to see exciting and innovative theatre and also take part in productions and workshops. The course also provides students with many transferable skills that are desirable in many different careers. These include team work, problem solving and the ability to deal with challenging situations.

Please see the Course Details box on this page for links to course details.

Some FAQs

Q: How will I be assessed?

A: Practical work (worth 40%) is assessed by us and then moderated by an outside examiner. The remainder (worth 60%) will be assessed by written exam.

Q: What do I need to study the course?

A: GCSE drama is not essential but if taken you need a grade B. If you have not taken GCSE then you will have obvious enthusiasm for the subject and have acquired experience through school, youth theatre or a community drama group. You will need a C in English Language.

You will be expected to be available after College hours and occasional weekends for rehearsals and theatre visits. You will need enthusiasm, commitment and the stamina to contribute positively to the group throughout the rehearsal period and to see a project through to the final performance.

You will need an enthusiasm for reading plays and researching various aspects of theatre as well as for going to the theatre.

Q: What other subjects combine well with Drama and Theatre Studies?

A: It works well with subjects like English, History, Media and Film Studies, Psychology, Philosophy, Art, but you can combine it with anything. It can work well combined with Performance Studies, Dance or Music.

Q: What facilities are available?

A: A large purpose built drama studio fully equipped with lighting and sound system overseen by our full time technician. Also three spacious rehearsal spaces.

Q: What support and extension facilities do we offer?

A: There are regular weekly support classes that vary their content throughout the year in order to adapt to the needs of the syllabus. For example, during the run up to the practical exams there are classes to help you with your supporting notes. If we have recently been to see a production there will be support classes to help with production essays.

We also offer extension classes where additional practical work on the set texts take place. These offer students a fantastic opportunity to explore the texts in more detail as well as offering performance opportunities for students.

Drama and Theatre Studies and IB Theatre students regularly take part in a variety of workshops with professional theatre companies and performers. Recent workshops have included Theatre de Complicite, The Mercury Theatre, Japanese Noh Theatre, and an acting workshop with Ian Redford (actor).

Q: Where next?

A: All universities and degree awarding institutions recognise Drama and Theatre Studies AS and A-level as a valid qualification. The transferable skills that you will gain through this course will be of use to you even if your career ambitions have nothing to do with Drama. You will develop a problem solving approach to your learning, which should develop your intelligence and your capacity to deal with challenging situations. You will also learn to work well with others. You will be open to active participation in decision making, you will know when to take the lead, and you’ll be used to listening constructively to other people’s ideas.

Q: I am currently thinking of taking the International Baccalaureate, can I still study Drama and Theatre?

A: As part of the IB programme students can opt to take Theatre at Higher level in group 6. The course is assessed in 4 pieces of coursework and there is no final examination. As part of the course you study 3 main areas, Theatre in the Making, Theatre in Performance and Theatre in the world. The course integrates practical approaches with the study of important theatrical theories, texts and practices from a range of cultures and periods. The course offers a flexible and varied approach to study. Students on IB theatre take part in many of the trips and workshops that Drama and Theatre studies students take part in . All of the additional studies Drama activities are also open to IB Theatre Students.

Students taking A level Drama and Theatre Studies have achieved a 100% pass rate for the past 3 years!!